Some Shower Swaps...


On a journey to living a more sustainable and ethical life, I've found one of the easiest places to start to make swaps is body care. These are items almost always in a constant state of needing to be replaced, whether it's deodorant, shower gel, shampoo, or face wash. This means, once you've finished a bottle, you can immediately move on to something a little more earth-friendly!

I'm fortunate enough to live in a town with a refill shop, which provides me with an opportunity to replace certain products from my shower without having to buy new bottles and tubs. My local store provides refills of Faith in Nature products in particular. The pump bottle in the middle used to contain a cream cleanser, and is currently home to the Faith in Nature Coconut Body Wash. The pump bottle is brilliant as I can continue to refill it with different products as they run out, saving the need for more packaging to be produced, and I can try out different types of product if they become available.

I bought the above bottle of Faith in Nature Coconut Shampoo from my local Oxfam with the intention to fill it up at my local refill store once it runs out. I'm a big fan of Faith in Nature products - they really do capture the fragrances they advertise, for example their coconut products actually smell like coconut compared to products from other companies making the same claim. They're cruelty-free, vegan, and fairly easy to get your hands on compared to similar brands (I've found most Oxfam stores stock their products).

The last swap I've made recently body care-wise is to using more Lush products, whether in bottles and tubs (which you can return to the store to be recycled, and then get a free fresh face mask for every five returned), or their solid packaging-free items. I've been using the Lush Sleepy Shower Gel in the evenings, which has a gorgeous lavender and ylang ylang scent. Once this has run out, I think I'm going to try some of their 'naked' shower products, starting with the Rose Jam Naked Shower Gel. Lush seem to be constantly coming out with more and more packaging-free products, so there will always be a new scent to try if I get bored of the ones I already have!

Looking ahead, I'm also interested to try some of Lush's solid conditioners, potentially Lush Jungle Solid Conditioner. I will say that solid shampoos and conditioners are a whole new world for me, but with the wide range of options that are available, I don't feel like it can go wrong!

Comments