DIY Detangling/Heat Protecting Spray


There are always a few things in your arsenal that, when it comes to switching to a more sustainable/ethical/vegan choice or one that uses less plastic, you dread to replace, either because there's nothing else on the market that works for you, or maybe there's not much of a market for that sort of item yet. For me, one of those items was a detangling spray for when I get out of the shower and my hair is like a birds nest from being wrapped up in a towel. I searched high and low for a spray that sounded like what I was using before, and ended up coming to the conclusion I would just have to make my own. So here's the recipe!

This is an altered version of a recipe I found on WikiHow, very scientific. 

You will need:
  • 1 old spray bottle with nozzle
  • 1 cup distilled water
  • 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 4 drops almond oil
  • (If making heat protectant spray) - A squeeze of the conditioner of your choice, provided it contains heat protectant ingredients
  1. Take the spray bottle from your old detangling/heat protecting spray (obviously, the most sustainable choice of all is to use up what you already have!) and pour in one cup of distilled water.
  2. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and add to the bottle, along with 4 drops of almond oil.
  3. If you're making a heat protectant spray, add a good squeeze of the conditioner of your choice (this must be one that contains heat protectant, otherwise it won't protect your hair).
  4. If you're not making a heat protectant spray, congratulations, you're done! I personally still add some conditioner to mine, despite it not containing the heat protectant ingredients, because I find it makes my hair a little bit softer, but don't go overboard otherwise you will just have a greasy head. The choice is yours!
  5. Shake well before use!
Enjoy having smooth, brushable hair with just a few spritzes once you're out of the shower. I enjoyed this spray so much, I'm on my second batch and wouldn't switch to anything else!

Don't you love when a homemade beauty recipe both goes to plan and works for you?

Comments